The Big Apple Tap Festival 2017
November 10-12, 2017
Honoring Tap Master
Dianne 'Lady Di' Walker
Ivery Fisher and Dianne Walker
L To R: Bernard Manners, Dianne Walker and Kevin Ramsey
The Tap Festival Included:
- Tap Master Classes by 'Star-Studded' Tap Faculty.
- Master Classes in a Variety of Tap Styles.
- Tap Technique and Warm-Up Classes.
- Two Adult Programs (17+, Adults, Teachers, Studio Owners).
- Dedicated Adult Program (17+) for Advanced Beginners, on Two Days!
- Two Dedicated Older Teens Programs (15-16 Yrs.).
- Dedicated Younger Teens Program (13-14 Yrs.).
- Dedicated Pre-Teens Program (10-12 Yrs.).
- Participants Showcase at The Kaye Playhouse.
- Award Ceremony.
- Tap History Talks.
- Video Presentation.
- Related Events.
Dianne Walker and Dr. Jimmy Slyde
Dianne 'Lady Di' Walker
Click on a name for extended bio and pictures
L To R: Dr. Harold Nicholas, Dianne Walker and Dr. Fayard Nicholas
The Three Dukes
L To R: Bubba Gaines, Leon Collins and Raymond Khalund.
Leon Collins was Dianne Walker's mentor.
The Big Apple Tap Festival,
an intensive weekend of exciting events, included:
Tap Master Classes:
Dianne 'Lady Di' Walker, Ofer Ben, Brenda Bufalino,
Karen Callaway Williams, Denise Caston, Debbi Dee,
Barbara Duffy, DeWitt Fleming, Isabel Glasser,
Germaine Goodson, Ray Hesselink, Anthony LoCascio,
Reggio McLaughlin, Yukiko 'Smilie' Misumi, Avi Miller,
Andrew Nemr, Claudia Rahardjanoto, Sarah Reich,
Germaine Salsberg, Jason Samuels Smith, Alan Spaulding,
& Jimmy Tate
- Twenty-two leading tap artists taught inspiring Tap Master Classes, each in his/her own unique style and charisma.
- Dedicated Tap Master Classes
- Isabel Glasser and Alan Spaulding dedicated their classes to the late-great Tap Master Bob Audy.
- Jimmy Tate dedicated his classes to the late-great Tap Master Danny Daniels.
- Reggio McLaughlin dedicated his classes to the Copasetic's chair dance, highlighting his longtime tap partner, the late-great Ernest 'Brownie' Brown.
- Denise Caston dedicated her classes to 'precision tap dancing'.
Mark Albrecht, April Cook, Nicole Hockenberry, Corey Hutchins, Shelby Kaufman, Hillary-Marie Michael & Kelsey Rose Young
- Warm-up sessions for each day with seven leading tap practitioners who taught the afternoon / morning tap drills - each with his/her own unique style and technique.
- A wonderful event concluded the second day of classes in the exciting Big Apple Tap Festival. Ray Hesselink emceed an informal Participants Showcase at The Kaye Playhouse at Hunter College.
The Big Apple Tap Festival Award
to Tap Master Dianne 'Lady Di' Walker:
At the Participants Showcase
Faculty & Friends
- Members of the star-studded faculty presented Tap Master Dianne 'Lady Di' Walker with The Big Apple Tap Festival Award for "Outstanding Achievements & Significant Contribution To The Tradition And Art Of Tap Dance".
Tap History Talks:
- Debbi Dee conducted the 'Tap History Talks' session, honoring Dianne 'Lady Di' Walker, which featured stories shared by the faculty.
Germaine Salsberg & Avi Miller
- Germaine Salsberg & Avi Miller presented the audience with a compliation of tap video clips from various periods and various styles of tap.
Dianne Walker and Fellow Dancers
3 Steppers and Cab Calloway
Dianne Walker and Savion Glover
L To R: Dr. Jimmy Slyde, Dr. Cholly Atkins, Dianne Walker and Dr. Henry LeTang
Back to Top